Bridge; its Principles and Rules of Play with Illustrative Hands and the Club Code of Bridge Laws is a bridge book that was published in 1902. The book was written by J B Elwell and is available as a free kindle book through amazon. The book is more than a hundred years old and a lot of the information contained within it is outdated. The book is despite this more than than worth a read. The reason for this is that it that is available for free and that it can give you a good view of how the game of bridge have changed over the years. You might be surprised to see how much the defenses and conventions had changed since this book was written. The book can also be a good option for anyone who want their first introduction the the game. Just don’t expect that the people you play today will use the tactics described in this book. If you do you can find the info in this book rather misleading.
- Well written basic information about historic bridge.
- The book is free to download for anyone that has a Kindle. It is also available for other systems.
- A good historical look at bridge.
- A good book to read if you want to see for yourself how bridge has changed during the last 100 years.
- The information can help beginners understand modern bridge easier by first reading about this less developed type of game.
- The book is more than 100 years old
- The information in the book does not reflect the current state of bridge. If you read it as a book on modern bridge you will be mislead.
- Only available as an ebook. (not in print)
- The book was written before the invention of auction bridge. The game depicted in this book is now known as Russian whist.